How to set the FQDN part of message IDs

Messages composed with squirrelmail exhibit a
message-ID of the form

The part behind the @ is the IP address of the server
running squirrelmail. This is a private 192.168.x.y
IP address, therefore not a good choice for the FQDN
(fully qualified domain name) part of the Message ID.

I'd like to replace this part with a real FQDN that
we own.

I've searched through the documentation and grepped
through the configuration files and the source files.
compose.php contains a function comment that states
this function might add message-id among other headers,
 but I cannot find the message-id being added in this
function.

I cannot find where the Message-ID is generated in
squirrelmail and how it could be configured.
Please someone point me to the relevant documentation or
code section or configuration variable.

SquirrelMail version 1.4.21, from Ubuntu package version
2:1.4.21-1
plugins installed: local_autorespond_forward -3.0.1-1.4.0,
compatibility-2.0.16-1.0
PHP version 5.3.5
Web server Apache 2.2.17
IMAP server dovecot 1.2.15
SMTP postfix 2.8.2
OS Ubuntu 11.04 32 Bit kernel 2.6.38-11
Installed all software with ubuntu package manager
Browsers tried Firefox 3.0.22 and 6.0.2