Re: charset problem on language selection

Oguzhan Kayhan wrote:

> Hello,
> We are using our sqmail 1.4.22 installation with 2 language support
> (turkish and english)
> This is our config.php file for lang. settings.
>
> $squirrelmail_default_language = 'en_US';
> $default_charset       = 'utf-8';
> $lossy_encoding        = false;
>
> When user uses english settings we have no problems so far.
> But if user selects Turkish language as option, they can read mails
> without any problem.
> But if they click on reply or forward, the mails turkish chars gets
> garbage..
> The following mail is an example to one of our "problem" emails containing
> turkish chars.
>
> As i said, if user replies or forwards this mail, all turkish chars on
> subject and body bcomes garbage characters.

Set lossy encoding to true or convert Turkish translation to utf-8.
$default_charset applies only to US English translation. Any other
translation uses character set hardcoded in SquirrelMail scripts.

Lossy encoding helps, if your utf-8 emails contain only characters supported
by Turkish ISO-8859-9 character set. Converting Turkish translation to utf-8
might be painful as you have to convert user preferences, but it is better
in long term as you get universal charset, which can be used in Turkish,
German or any other language. Interface running in utf-8 might create
charset conversion problems only if you have to deal with invalid encoding
in emails commons in your country.

--
Tomas