SquirrelMail struggles after sending email with 10MB attachment

Hi All,
I notice when I send an email with a 10MB attachment, my mail server seems to process it just fine (server log shows email is received and delivered). But SquirrelMail gets “stuck” and hangs on the Compose webpage after the user clicks send. After 10 minutes, I get this error in SquirrelMail:
PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 600 seconds exceeded in C:\Apps\direct\apache-tomcat-6.0.29\webapps\JavaBridge\mail\class\deliver\Deliver.class.php on line 429
I’m using the following in my Windows development environment:
Apache James 3 M3
Apache Tomcat 6.0.29
PHP/Java Bridge
SquirrelMail 1.4.0
php-5.2.14-Win32
Firefox 4.0.1
My php.ini file has these settings:
max_execution_time = 600
max_input_time = 600
memory_limit = 128M
post_max_size = 20M
upload_max_filesize = 10M
How can I optimize SquirrelMail so that it can send up to 10MB attachments but not take 10 minutes?
Regards,
Vanessa Pao