Re: Error: Connection dropped by IMAP server with dovecot

Title: Re: Error: Connection dropped by IMAP server with dovecot

Hi there --

Thanks for your reply. I did some investigating of the dovecot.conf file, and I
came across something in addition to your suggestion. The section I am referring
to is shown below:

# Valid UID range for users, defaults to 500 and above. This is mostly
# to make sure that users can't log in as daemons or other system users.
# Note that denying root logins is hardcoded to dovecot binary and can't
# be done even if first_valid_uid is set to 0.
#first_valid_uid = 500
#last_valid_uid = 0

I ran the cat command on the passwd file, and did a grep for the two user accounts.
The account that worked had a userid that was greater than 500, while the one that
did not work had a value below the 500 integer.

I changed the uid of the problem user account to a value greater than 500, and was
subsequently able to log into the server.

Thanks for the help.

> In the dovecot.conf there is a line to limit the UIDs that can connect as
> it's just one user maybe it's something to do with that ?

> mick

dispose of the e-mail.