What is "security_tokens" in the userprefs?

Hey folks,

   I'm running the latest release (1.4.21) on OpenBSD, and I'm
trying to track down why every so often (sometimes five times
a day, sometimes once a week) my webmail UI will freeze up trying
to refresh (or go to a different message/folder/etc) until the
browser times out.

   A restart of Apache seems to "solve" the problem.  However, during
this time, websites are still responding just fine, and I can still
retrieve my email via another IMAP client, so it doesn't seem to be
an issue with either Apache or Dovecot IMAP.

   I did some poking around in my preferences (stored in a PostgreSQL
database), and I noticed that the security_tokens row for my user
is HUGE.  Like over half a megabyte huge, which seems a bit .. off.
It contains nothing but tokens like:

i:INTEGER;s:12:"TOKEN";

where INTEGER is a ten-digit number, and TOKEN is a 12-character
string.  This pattern repeats over and over and over again, taking
up dozens of screens of output when I'm looking at the query results
in psql.

   What exactly are these tokens?  Are these accumulated as long as
I leave a browser logged in, or ...?  I was wondering if the algorithm
SquirrelMail uses to run through all of those might be causing the
timeouts.

   I am running the following plugins if any of them raise an
eyebrow:

    1. delete_move_next
    2. compatibility
    3. calendar_sql_backend
    4. calendar
    5. listcommands
    6. newmail
    7. bounce
    8. add_address
    9. squirrel_logger
    10. view_as_html
    11. message_details
    12. sent_subfolders
    13. quicksave
    14. server_settings
    15. server_settings_backend
    16. show_headers
    17. lockout

   I have not yet disabled the plugins and re-enabled them one
by one, as it sometimes takes minutes or days to replicate the
issue, and I can't leave the plugins disabled that long unless
it's really critical.

   I am also suspicious of the message highlighting preferences...
I have a lot of them (probably a hundred or more), and it literally
takes *minutes* to display the list of them in the web interface's
options.

   Thoughts?  Ideas?  Questions?  Help?

Thanks folks!

Benny

--
"Hairy ape nads."        -- Colleen, playing Neverwinter Nights