Re: php-5.3.4 causes error messages

>>> After upgrading to php-5.3.4 on Gentoo, I'm getting some error
>>> messages although functionality seems to be intact:
>
> Thanks Tomas.  Gentoo changed some of their behavior with regard to
> PHP and I'm still figuring it out.  It looks like the installed
> php.ini for php-5.3.4 is a "development version".  I switched to:
>
> error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED
>

> The bigger question to ask gentoo is why are they altering your php.ini on
> an "upgrade" in the first place.

In case you're interested...

When updating a package, Gentoo normally gives you the option of
merging your current config file with the latest default.  PHP
behavior on Gentoo has changed a bit with php-5.3.4 and it was
installed into a new slot so it can be installed alongside other
versions.  When I switched to the php-5.3.4 slot, I also switched to
its default php.ini which is a development version.  I added the
following to /etc/make.conf:

PHP_INI_VERSION="production"

and re-emerged php and ran etc-update to update php.ini to the
production version.  All is well now.

- Grant