2 different questions about sqmail

Hello,
I have 1.4.21 installed on my system.Working on Apache/2.2.9 (Debian)
Default and most used emailing language on my system is Turkish.

this is my charset config
$default_charset       = 'iso-8859-9';

When i receive emails, everything seems fine with turkish charset.
But if i click on reply or forward , i got garbage characters on text for
turkish letters.

I tried to change default_charset to UTF-8 but didnt change anything..Just got
ïïï istead of garbage chars.

What am i missing..or is it a general encoding problem...

Second question, there are some users that is willing to see just unread
emails instead of all mails in inbox with a click of a button :)))
Is there such plugin or smthing else that can add this to sqmail??