Re: 'message flags & icons' tweak

2010.11.29 04:20 Charlie raÅÄ:
> Hi,
> I recently installed the 'Message Flags & Icons' SquirrelMail plugin, in
> order to be able to flag emails.
> I was expecting something along the lines of what you get in Gmail - which
> has a perfect implementation in my opinion.
> SquirrelMail's implementation is essentially useless for me, because there
> is no 'Flagged' link/folder (in the left-hand menu) that I can click on to
> view all flagged emails.
> As far as I can see, the only way to find flagged emails is to physically
> look through every single email and notice that it is marked as being
> flagged.
> The other great advantage Gmail has is the ability to simply click on the
> star next to every email, and this *instantly* flags an email, right then
> and there. You can also unflag it immediately through the same method.
> Is there any chance of improving flagging in this plugin? Otherwise I
> think
> I may have to switch to Gmail because this feature is so important to me.

Feature you are asking is not related to msg_flags patch. It is custom
search option. Gmail's stronger point is search and they are able to give
such option without serious performance issue, since they control both
frontend features and email storage/backend. Their email storage backend
is not IMAP based and they don't have performance issues, when they search
for flagged messages. If SquirrelMail has to do that, webmail will have to
run search in all your IMAP folders. Search for something in all folders
with SquirrelMail and you will see how slow it can be.

If you use SquirrelMail 1.5.x and enable advanced search options and
search memory, you can run and save search which filters emails to flagged
messages.

--
Tomas