Re: Updating Patches and Plugins -

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 4:31 AM, reepicheep
<nick.cavanagh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
> I've been running squirrelmail on the schools dedicated webserver for a
> while now.  I've never touched it as it always did exactly what I needed (me
> being a small time operator).
>
> The school now needs an option where end users can securely change their own
> passwords without the need for the system admin to have to do it for them.
>
> We are running version 1.4.8 and I do realise that this does need updating.
>
> What I'd like to read is that somewhere there is a 1.4.8 to the latest
> version specific patch that I can simply ftp to my server.

That's not generally how Open Source Software works.  Just install the
newest version and copy over your configuration files from the old
version.  Please read the administrator documentation for more
information (a simple search for "upgrade" in the search box on the
SquirrelMail website would have gotten you here):

http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-4.html

> And hey presto!
>
> However the need for users to change their own passwords is so critical that
> if I can't do it then there is little point me updating as we'd have to
> change the service somehow.

There's a whole selection of such plugins.  You didn't bother to look
at all before you posted??

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team