Re: unable to login

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Daminto Lie <dlie76@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have recently installed on my new server Ubuntu Server 10.04, LAMP
> (Apache2, PHP5, MySQL), Postfix, Dovecot and Squirrelmail.
>
> I have configured postfix, dovecot and squirrelmail (guided by some of the
> instructions found on the web). I have installed the postfixadmin as well.
> Consequently, I added a user (e.g. michael.pugh) to the mailbox. And I have
> even tried to send an email out to my external email address (yahoo.com) via
> postfixadmin and I received it. I could get the squirrelmail page up on the
> firefox browser via http://localhost/squirrelmail/src/login.php.
>
> The problem here is when i typed in the username and the password like the
> one I just created, it says "Error - unknown user or incorrent password". I
> tried many times but to no avail. I am not sure if there are any other
> configuration i need to be able to login via squirrelmail.

Did you try logging in with "michael.pugh" or with
"michael.pugh@xxxxxxxxxxx"?  If you haven't tried one or the other,
please do.  If the full email address seems to be what works and you
don't want to type it every time, you need the Login Manager plugin.

If that's not your problem, consult the IMAP server log information,
which is typically in your "maillog" file, often found in /var/log

It would also be prudent to try logging in to IMAP directly from the
command line first to make sure your IMAP server is set up correctly.
Something like:

telnet localhost 143
A1 LOGIN <username> <password>
A2 LOGOUT