Re: Error in Apache when trying to test configuration

2010.06.28 17:37 mick crane rašė:

> On Mon, June 28, 2010 3:17 pm, Helmut Hullen wrote:
>> Hallo, Alf,
>>

>> Du meintest am 28.06.10:
>>

>>> I am getting the following error when trying to access configtest.php
>>> on my Apache2 server on my Debian server [Mon Jun 28 09:28:08 2010]
>>> [error] [client 41.28.52.171] client
>>> denied by server configuration: /usr/share/squirrelmail/src/configtes
>>> t.php How do I fix this?
>>
>> That's no squirrelmail problem but a problem related to your webserver
>> (maybe "Apache").
>>

>> *.php files called as web side have to be readable by the webserver
>> (user or group).
>>

>> I've seen many web applications which set all rights to 777 - that's
>> nasty, that's not necessary.
>>
>> On my machine(s) there runs Apache with "wwwrun:www". I set the rights
>> for the squirrelmail directory to
>>
>> cd /path/to/squirrelmail chgrp -R www squirrel* chmod -R o-rwx squirrel*
>> chmod -R g+rX  squirrel*
>>
>> Viele Gruesse!
>> Helmut
>

> I do this and it seems to work.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> find /usr/share/squirrelmail/* -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;
> find /usr/share/squirrelmail/* -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;
> chown -R apache /usr/share/squirrelmail/*;
> chgrp -R apache /usr/share/squirrelmail/*;

Could you think twice before suggesting such things? Debian does not have
apache user. It uses www-data:www-data. Never ask people to modify files
created by operating system packager unless you know that OS and have
information that existing package is broken. "Never mess in /usr, unless
it is /usr/local". That's golden rule for any package based Linux distro.
Especially when distribution has better update tools than rpm. All changes
will be lost when package is updated.

"client denied by server configuration" is not related to file system
permissions. It is Apache configuration restriction. In case of Debian it
is Limit directives in their apache configuration for SquirrelMail.

--
Tomas