Re: postfix/suirrelmail "forgot my password" feature

> I have a mail server with the postfix/Squirrelmail/Dovecot combination
> which I have user data on MySQL as virtual users. I have configured SM so
> that users can now change their own password.
>
> Is there any opensource solution to provide "self service password
> management" which would allow me to add the "I forgot my password. Lets
> reset it" feature ?
>
> For authentication, using some random personal data or personal
> question/answer combination would be enough I guess.

I don't know of any pre-packaged solutions offhand.  That's probably
because there is no one standardized place to put user passwords, and
exactly how you plan to reset the password can vary (send user a new
one?  point them to a page that lets them retrieve a random one or
lets them choose a new one?  etc...).  Also there are any number of
ways to verify that the user is the actual one who owns the account,
some of which are implicitly linked to how you sign the users up (did
you collect a secondary email address?  tell them to create some
security questions?  etc....).

Therefore, it's really hard to build a one-package-does-it-all system
for this kind of thing.  It's of course straight-forward to build a
system to your specifications once you've decided on them.

See also:

http://squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-9.html

--
Paul Lesniewski