Re: User logging and reporting

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in what capabilities are available to track users, such
> as amount of time they logged in, when each user logged in last,
> perhaps who hasn't logged in within the last month, and maybe even a
> record of the senders and recipients involving them.
>
> I'm using postfix, apache, and courier-imap, and have set up a
> logformat such that awstats can process it, but it would be good to
> have more mail stats from postfix or or the auth process from
> squirrelmail.

There are some good logging options that analyze postfix logs.  If you
use a SquirrelMail package to log user activity, it's going to affect
your webmail performance (although perhaps not noticeably), and it's
ONLY going to log webmail events (if your users use POP/IMAP/SMTP in a
desktop client, for example, SquirrelMail logging won't help monitor
those activities).

> What information is currently available, and how would I go about
> finding the information that isn't currently available already? What
> is recorded in the mail logs to provide login/logout info, if any? I
> don't see anything in the apache logs indicating 'success' login or
> failure, or otherwise...

SquirrelMail does not do any logging by default.  But your mail server
should provide you with all the information you need -- each
SquirrelMail login can be seen as a LOGIN hit on your IMAP server and
each email sent should be logged by postfix.  However, if you want to
monitor discrete SquirrelMail usage, you should install the Squirrel
Logger plugin, which can log all of the events you listed above.  Also
note that if you're capable/interested in using the Vadmin plugin, it
also provides some logging that is presented directly to the
administrator in the SquirrelMail interface (primarily last login time
and which users have/have not used webmail).

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team