Re: Bug Report German Umlaute broken

Thomas Vasiliadis.de wrote:

> I subscribe to the squirrelmail-users mailing list.
>   [x]  True - No need to CC me when replying
>   [ ]  False - Please CC me when replying
>
> This bug occurs when I answer to a message with German Umlaute (like ÄÖÜ,
> don't know the English name of it).
> The Mail I get is OK, if I answer to it, the Umlaute are broken. It looks
> like "für" instead of "für".
> Is this a general bug or did I something wrong at the configuration of SM?
>

> Those are the relevant header lines of a Mail with this reaction:

> This wont happen with a Mail like this:
> Subject: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Weihnachts?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?gru=DF?=
> Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 21:58:55 +0100

turn on lossy encoding in SquirrelMail configuration or switch to utf-8
translation.

iso-8859-1 does not support all utf-8 symbols. Conversion from utf-8 to
iso-8859-1 can lose information. SquirrelMail does not do lossy conversions
by default. It is not a bug, but design decision. Doing conversion without
testing might cause data loss. Testing, if conversion is not lossy, requires
more processing power.

Email is displayed correctly, because SquirrelMail does not need full
conversion there.

Germany is in Euro zone since 1999. Germans should be begging for switch to
windows-1252, iso-8859-15 or utf-8.

--
Tomas