Re: can squirrelmail do VERP?

Tomas,

> Use real mailing list manager. They handle those bounces
> automatically.

We are.  It did.

The problem it the real mailing list manager put some emails "on hold" because of a temporary problem.  After the member got "on hold", the temporary problem resolved itself -- the email address no longer bounces.  But the member stays "on hold" until a human intervenes.

Based on investigating a small sample, 4% of the "on hold" email addresses are definitely working no problem.

We want to test them all, but the mailing list manager will not send emails to members "on hold".  So we are looking at ways to test each "on hold" email address -- outside the real mailing list manager.

Here is an excellent suggestion off the Dovecot IMAP server mailing lis:

Setup mailman
Create one list
set bounce limit to 1
fill it with the addresses to be tested
send one mail to the list
wait ...
retrieve the pruned userlist via list_members listname

Rick