Re: can squirrelmail do VERP?

> I have several thousand email addresses, the vast majority of which are
> definitely no good, and I want to figure out which are good.
>
> So I will send out an email to all the email addresses.  By making a list
> of the ones that bounced, and comparing that list with the full list, I
> can determine which are still good.
>
> This is for a non-profit association -- I am not in the spam business.
>
> Knowing exactly which emails bounced would be much easier if I could set
> up a squirrelmail in box implementing VERP.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_envelope_return_path
>
> In other words, I want an in box accepting all mail where the email
> addresses match a wildcard pattern like this:
> mail_admin_??????@domain.org, where ?????? are 6 digits.  The digits
> would be a scrambled contact ID.  Since they will be digits only, here is
> the regular expression: mail_admin_\d{6}.  (We will pick a wildcard
> pattern that does not conflict with any existing address.)
>
> We are running squirrelmail 1.4.8-5 and IMAP server Dovecot 1.0.7.
>
> How do I set this up?

A mail system consists of many parts. SquirrelMail does two things: allows
you to read what's been delivered by other system parts to your mailbox,
and allows you to instruct other system parts to send out mail that you
have composed.

VERP makes use of different sender addresses. To be able to collect mail
from all of those and deliver them to your mailbox is out of the scope for
SquirrelMail - check your SMTP server and local delivery solution.
SquirrelMail can use variable sender addresses, but only if you manually
configure them and choose one of them when sending mail. This isn't very
suitable for VERP.

If I were to tackle the problem I'd configure my SMTP server to use a
catch-all address (that's the easy approach, although I generally don't
like catch-all addresses) or define each and every VERP from address in
the mail system (the harder but a bit better approach, which could be done
with a script). In both cases I'd have them deliver to a special mail box.
Then I'd write a script to mail out a test message to all recipients, but
with different from addresses for each and every one for them (as
described in VERP).

Sincerely,
Fredrik

--