Re: Message Count Update (Solution/Bug?)

On Thu, March 18, 2010 10:18 am, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Karl,
>
> Du meintest am 18.03.10:
>
>> Alpine can only use IMAP. It was formerly named Pine but hasn't
>> changed.
>
> Alpine can use POP3 too. I use it only for this protocol since years.

Wow, that's a new one for me. I just did a search for POP in the
configuration, and I see a half dozen settings for POP, but nowhere to set
Alpine up as a POP client. So, I visited the Alpine (Pine) homepage at
washington.edu/alpine and started reading. Pine v4.64 was the final
version of Pine, and Alpine has only been around since sometime after
2005, as a re-written Pine, which was closed-source, as part of the Apache
licensing scheme as v2.0.

Pine started in 1989 and in the section on IMAP, they explain what it is,
and then say, Pine is such a client. They also say, under the POP3 heading
that it's an older protocol that's going away. ;-)

I don't think Pine (or Alpine) can do POP, so I'm wondering if you are
using something that isn't from the University of Washington...???

Karl

> Viele Gruesse!
> Helmut

> List info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options):

---
Karl Pearson
Karlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
 to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
 for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
 repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
---