Re: missing emails

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 8:01 AM, John Glynn <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I apologize.  I have not posted here in years because my Squirrelmail has
> been working flawlessly.  I forgot to put “” in the subject (I
> think that is standard procedure).

No, that prefix is added automatically for you.  Please re-read the
mailing list posting guidelines before posting again to re-familiarize
yourself with mailing list protocol.  In particular, note that
top-posting is not how you should respond to messages here.

> Here is my problem again:
>
> This problem seems to be happening prior to squirrel mail but I cannot be
> certain.  My clients are each reporting missing emails. These are emails
> they are expecting to receive from senders they have received from in the
> past. They are now unable to receive any emails from these particular
> senders. When I search the log files for those emails I find successful
> entries like this one:
>
> From: Mar 5 13:26:27 mail sendmail[11408]: o25IQQCM011408:
> from=<thetrusted_sender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, size=4515, class=0,
> nrcpts=1, msgid=< longID_number@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >, proto=ESMTP,
> daemon=MTA, relay=hfdmailout01.thehartford.com [162.136.189.233]
>
> To: Mar 5 13:26:33 mail sendmail[11409]: o25IQQCM011408:
> to=<myclient@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, delay=00:00:06, xdelay=00:00:06,
> mailer=local, pri=34790, dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent

SquirrelMail is an IMAP *client*.  It is NOT a mail server (MTA).
This issue is entirely unrelated to SquirrelMail.

> But I find no trace of any of the missing emails in Squirrelmail or even
> looking through client emails within Webmin.
>
> This is a new problem and again may not be related to Squirrelmail but I
> thought it worth posting all the same.
>
> My question: Where can I look for these emails? Is there some place within
> Squirrelmail or Webmin that they could be getting hung up after what looks
> like a successful send?

When you ask this question in a more relevant place (such as a
sendmail forum), you'll want to show ALL the log entries for when such
a message came in to your server.  The only one you show above looks
like the mail was relayed to a server I don't know if you control.  If
you do, check there for the same message.  You should also show a set
of log entries for a message that was accepted normally.  You should
also work with one of the senders in question, asking them for EXACT
send times and whether or not they got a bounce message.  Also ensure
there is no filtering on the recipient's side that would trash the
mail and/or that some process such as SpamAssassin or whatever server
side anti-spam or anti-virus filtering you may be using isn't causing
the issue.

> My setup:
>
> IMAP - dovecot
> PHP - 4.3.11

Oh my.

> Web server - Apache 2.0.53

Oh my.

> Stock installation of Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3, which uses RPM.

Oh my.

> Squirrelmail version: 1.4.6

Oh my.

You REALLY need to upgrade.  You are running software with numerous
known security holes.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team