Re: Clean up the deleted item folder

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Daminto Lie <dlie76@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wonder if anyone might be able to help me here. I was trying to find a
> plugin that would clean up the deleted item folder automatically after a
> certain period of time. I notice that there is a plugin called Empty Trash.
> Would this be used to empty the deleted item folder.

This isn't really a task for a webmail client.  First, you should
check if your IMAP server supports a configuration for this.  You can
also research whether or not there is software that you can run on
your server that does this for you at regular intervals (not just when
you log in to a webmail client).  Because mail systems behind
SquirrelMail differ, that software will depend on how your mail system
is designed and built.

If you decide to try a SquirrelMail plugin like Empty Trash, note
that, just like doing mail filtering in SquirrelMail, it is a
last-ditch option.  It won't clean the trash can out of accounts that
don't log in using SquirrelMail and will reduce log-in performance for
those that have large amounts of old trash.  That plugin also wipes
out the entire trash folder, no matter if some items were only deleted
one hour ago, and the settings are site-wide -- users cannot configure
the behavior for themselves.  The Proon plugin can offer you solutions
for some of these issues, but it may have issues under some uses.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team