Re: Select_Range Doc Issue / Compatibility Bug? / Patch for newuser_wiz / Cookie Errors with PHP 5.2.12

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Kevin A. McGrail <KMcGrail@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Finally, I tried to install SM 1.4.19 and 1.4.20RC2.  We definitely
>> saw the exact "you must be logged in to view this page" errors that
>> others have complained about.  From reviewing my
>> webserver cookies, I appeared to have cookies for / and for /src with
>> 1.4.19+
>>
>> Reverting to 1.4.17 resolved the issue.
>> However, this issue MIGHT be related to PHP 5.2.12.  There is a patch
>> in 5.2.12 that deals with time that could definitely affect cookies
>> (http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50930) This points to the issue with
>> 1.5.19 being caused by a change in PHP 5.2.12 from 5.2.11.
>
> Here's the promised follow-up taken from my bug report for php
> http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=50930 :
>
> OK, so I believe the patch [for PHP 5.2.12] in 291371 definitely is causing the issue I'm seeing with 1.4.19 and 1.4.20RC2 in
> combination with older GCC's.  Here's the testing I've done:
>
> PHP 5.2.12 compiled by gcc 3.2.3 - SquirrelMail 1.2.19 works as well as
> PHPMyAdmin 2.11.10.
>
> PHP 5.2.12 compiled by gcc 2.9.6 - SM 1.2.19 is broken with the error
> "You must be logged in to access this page."
> PHPMyAdmin sporadically triggers "Warning: Expiry date cannot have a
> year greater then 9999"
>
> Finally, PHP 5.2.12 compiled with revision 291371 removed with GCC 2.96
> - PHPMyadmin & SquirrelMail works.
>

> Anyway, there is code in PHP 5.2.12 that with older GCCs that might be causing issues with
> the newer SquirrelMail.  YMMV.
>
> As noted, reverting back to 1.4.17 worked fine.  It seems to do with dates and affects cookies
> which manifests with errors and failed logins.

Egads.  It looks like that ancient version of gcc and PHP 5.2.12
breaking dates is something we probably don't want to add workaround
code for, since it looks like a pretty borked bug to me.  I guess it's
our use of gmdate() when setting cookie expiry (you could look at your
cookie data to confirm)... and that's just something PHP will have to
fix (or some kind of announcement needs to be made regarding
compatibility with old gcc versions(?).  It's not really something we
can do anything about.

Anyhow, thanks for letting us know.

--
Paul Lesniewski