Authentication failure when sending messages

Hello,
When using any browser and logging into Squirrelmail directly I have no
problem writing messages and then sending them to users on other
mailservers. However, I have also defined accounts using my LOCAL Opera mail
client for access. When defining "None" under authentication for the
outgoing SMTP server I don't get any error message but the messages remain
queued for sending. When I define any other authentication method (such as
AUTH-PLAIN or AUTH-LOGIN or AUTH-CRAM-MD5) I get the error message  "The
server responded 535 5.7.8 authentication failure: authentication failed. On
the other hand, I can "see" all incoming messages, using the Opera mail
client. Both client and server are Linux systems (server: Debian Lenny,
Postfix, Courier, PHP-5, Apache 2.2, client: OpenSuse 11.2, Opera 10.10).
Any ideas?