After Squirrelmail = mbox, no view via Pop3

Recently implemented Squirrelmail 1.4.20-RC2 on a FreeBSD7 amd server..

A little issue has come up. Hoping someone here has an easy fix or has
experienced this before.

Once you've viewed your messages in the Squirrelmail interface, it moves
them from /var/mail/username to /home/username/mbox. This is fine for
clients who then check mail at home via IMAP.. but I have a client who
insists on using POP3 at home. He wants to download his messages once he
gets home and have them removed from the server. But when he gets home,
POP3 says there are no messages to download.. because POP3 doesn't
recognize /home/username/mbox, it looks for /var/mail/username

Thoughts? Something I can do on the serverside or recommend the user to do
on the clientside?