Re: International characters don't display correctly in the from field

Siterer Fredrik Jervfors <jervfors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> That was totally uncalled for.  I have Chinese, Russian and various
>>> other character sets (including Norwegian) displaying correctly in the
>>> From field (as well as Subject).
>>>
>>> I suggest checking your config.
>>
>> Swith to Norwegian language files, turn on html mail plugin and put a
>> comma (,) in the sendt address togeter with æøå, like Monstad, Pål.
>
> And you're sure that the HTML Mail plugin isn't the culprit? Can you
> reproduce it with the HTML Mail plugin disabled?

For a long time I thougth the html mail plugin was the source of the
problem. I have removed every plugin but still have trouble with
correct encoding. In the body text contains øæå several lines of the
message disappears. I have to press forward to read the original
message.

I have spent hours figuring out what the problem is. I have posted the
problem description to this list but without any solutions. My
conclusion is SM will not work 100% correct with Norwegian language
files, html-support and our øæå.

As a start you can try to fix the error when a from field contains
Monstad, Pål (, and øæå)

The encoding in SM is very poor as a bad encoding in a language file
will break the whole installation. the same with bad encodings in
address files.

As I said I have spent too much time on this and have now switched to
Horde. Horde is not perfect but the encoding is much stronger and
generate no faults whatever encoding I give to it from mails or from
translations. I'm completing the migration of about 4000 users this
week.

Good luck to you all, especially all those non-English folks out there.
--
Pål Monstad

believed to be clean.