VERY slow squirrelmail response

So I have a problem.

My system : RH4U5

No additional plugins, just bare squirrel.

PHP : php-4.3.9-3.22.4

HTTP : Apache, httpd-2.0.52-41.ent.4

IMAP : imap-2002d-12

Kernel : 2.6.9-78.0.17.Elsmp

All of the above was installed with the instalation of the OS, or additionally as RPM packages.

There are no errors, at least none that I can find. Squirrelmail is working, it is just VERY slow, even when I log to port 143 directly on a server, both to its IP address, and on loopback :

# telnet 127.0.0.1 143

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).

Escape character is '^]'.

Here is the delay, and it is almost 30 seconds!!!!!

The line below shows after the 30 second delay, and I am doing the telnet on the server itself.

* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS STARTTLS AUTH=LOGIN] localhost.localdomain IMAP4rev1 2003.338rh at Wed, 4 Nov 2009 12:03:26 +0100 (CET)

Any Ideas?

Best regards,

Velda

believed to be clean.