Re: No href links in left_main for most folders

On Wed, November 4, 2009 14:53, James B. Byrne wrote:

> Since early today I am experiencing the situation where all but a
> very few folder in my imap account have associated hrefs generated
> for them when the folders are displayed in the left_main frame.
> This problem seems to affect only my account.  I have had one other
> user sign on to squirrelmail and their folders are linked as
> expected.

I discovered from looking in the maillog file that my cycrus-imap
user.seen database was corrupted.  I followed the instructions found
at http://article.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.cyrus/18840, recovered
the database, and now SM is working for me.

Briefly, the procedure is:

locate the bad record in the seen database, given as a hex number in
the maillog entry:

Nov  4 16:24:58 inet07 imap[10864]: DBERROR: skiplist recovery
/var/lib/imap/user/b/byrnejb.seen: ADD at AFB8 exists

and convert the hex value to decimal: xAFB8 = d44984. Next,
disconnect all MUAs connected to the problem user account. Now
recover the old database to the point of corruption.

Log onto the imap host as root.

# cd /var/lib/imap/user/b

Use dd to copy the old seen db up to the point of corruption:

# dd if=byrnejb.seen of=byrnejb.seen.fixed bs=1 count=44984

Copy the recovered DB over the corrupted one.

# mv byrnejb.seen.fixed byrnejb.seen

Set the ownership and permissions so that the imap server can open
and modify the database.

# chown cyrus:mail byrnejb.seen

The DB is now recovered.  Connect to the mail account from
SquirrelMail.  Squirrelmail now handles the folders as expected.

Interestingly enough, ThunderBird allowed me to open every folder
and all email notwithstanding that the DB was corrupted.  What
twigged me to the idea that it might be a server error is that all
the messages in every folder were set to unseen and marking them to
seen did not permanently alter their status.  Every time I opened a
previously visited folder all the messages I had just marked as seen
were in unseen status again.

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Canada  L8E 3C3