Re: email addresses truncating

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Barry R Cisna <brcisna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Same email server setup for our school for the last three years
> SquirrelMail version 1.4.8-4.0.1..el5.centos.1
> Now after editing the global address book for ALL staff for new teachers
> ,etc., the secretary is getting random errors/bounce backs from the server
> as the following:
>
> user@domain  550 unknown

This is not entirely clear.  You need to show the full, real bounce.

> this is not always the same error for the same user.
> Bottom line, I am not sure if it is the squirrelmail address book itself
> or the sendmail or dovecot server needs more memory maybe? I don't think
> this is the case as I have not done any updating or server configuration
> changes.

Read your logs to see if there are any error conditions associated
with the send.

> in the other words out of each staff entry in the address book at some
> point the address gets 'chopped off'.
> ( Of course all users 'after' this entry does not receive the email that
> has been sent)

It would help if you could just show the related headers.  Also, you
can and should carefully inspect your mail logs related to the send.
You will be able to count the number of outgoing messages and match
them to the original message's recipients.

> We have the address book setup in the following manner;
>
> A-C staff
> D-I staff
> etc
> when she sends to all entries a-z * with an attachment* this happens.

Depending on how many recipients are on the message, you can
definitely run into limits, not the least of which is the HTTP POST
size limit.

> It NEVER happens when she does not attach an Word document.

Then my guess is that it's a matter of trying to send too much data
over a HTTP POST.  There is no workaround for this other than to
modify how such messages are sent (by the user).  You can test my
theory by duplicating the outgoing message and dumping the $_POST
variable in compose.php (use "sm_print_r($_POST); exit;") when you
click send or maybe by using some browser plugins that can monitor
POST data, etc.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team