email addresses truncating

Hello,

Same email server setup for our school for the last three years
SquirrelMail version 1.4.8-4.0.1..el5.centos.1
Now after editing the global address book for ALL staff for new teachers
,etc., the secretary is getting random errors/bounce backs from the server
as the following:

user@domain  550 unknown

this is not always the same error for the same user.
Bottom line, I am not sure if it is the squirrelmail address book itself
or the sendmail or dovecot server needs more memory maybe? I don't think
this is the case as I have not done any updating or server configuration
changes.
in the other words out of each staff entry in the address book at some
point the address gets 'chopped off'.
( Of course all users 'after' this entry does not receive the email that
has been sent)
We have the address book setup in the following manner;

A-C staff
D-I staff
etc
when she sends to all entries a-z * with an attachment* this happens.

It NEVER happens when she does not attach an Word document.

I have tried to get the secretaries to use the mailman setup I have had
setup but teachers are generally narrow minded and want s the email in
their own inbox:(.Its a long story not worth explaining.
Even at that this has not happened till this year when a few more teachers
were entered in the global address book of Squirrelmail

Thanks,
Barry