Re: Alternate Login Screen / redirect.php question

On 8/3/09, Daniel Markovic <markovic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> List members,
>
> I recently upgraded to PHP 5.2.10 from PHP 4.4 on a RHEL3 Box for a number
> of reasons (aside from it just being time to upgrade).  Upgraded to
> SquirrelMail 1.4.19 from 1.4.4 to clear up many of the depreciated
> language that appears to have existed in SquirrelMail 1.4.4.
>
> My organization runs a DIY portal built with PHP/MySQL which uses it's own
> login sequence.  While using version 1.4.4 I was able to setcookie() for
> username and password during login sequence which allowed my users to
> simply hit a hyperlink to squirrel/src/redirect.php which sent them to
> their inbox.  It appears (most likely to me for security reasons) that
> version 1.4.19 does not allow this any longer.

Set cookies with the username and password??  Hmmm.

Anyway, cookies now need to be set with the directory specifically set
to the main SM one.  That could be part of the problem.  If you are
using HTTPS, you probably also need to set the HTTPOnly flag in the
cookies.  But putting the username/pwd in a cookie definitely won't
work.

> Or is there a way to still provide the same single-logon functionality
> with SquirrelMail 1.4.19 that I am just missing.

You could put a hidden form on your other pages that submits the
needed username and password in the POST data to redirect.php, but I
haven't tested that, and it's VERY insecure - the password would be
sent in the clear in all your HTML pages.  You might be able to work
around that by having the login link hit a page in your portal
application that redirects to a script that can sent the needed POST
data to redirect.php (seamless to the user), although I'm not sure
that's possible (GET yes, but POST...).  Actually, looking at the
code, it appears as if a GET request will work, too, but I hate to
think about the security implications of putting the username and
password into the browser's history.

Otherwise, you could try to create the SM session and set the needed
cookies by ripping out the code from redirect.php and redirect to
webmail.php instead.

The best option in my opinion is to create a SM plugin that hooks into
redirect.php and provides your own authentication so that you can keep
everything on the server side.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team