Alternate Login Screen / redirect.php question

List members,

I recently upgraded to PHP 5.2.10 from PHP 4.4 on a RHEL3 Box for a number
of reasons (aside from it just being time to upgrade).  Upgraded to
SquirrelMail 1.4.19 from 1.4.4 to clear up many of the depreciated
language that appears to have existed in SquirrelMail 1.4.4.

My organization runs a DIY portal built with PHP/MySQL which uses it's own
login sequence.  While using version 1.4.4 I was able to setcookie() for
username and password during login sequence which allowed my users to
simply hit a hyperlink to squirrel/src/redirect.php which sent them to
their inbox.  It appears (most likely to me for security reasons) that
version 1.4.19 does not allow this any longer.

Or is there a way to still provide the same single-logon functionality
with SquirrelMail 1.4.19 that I am just missing.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards,
-Dan Markovic
--The Beacon School, NYC