change of smtp server settings in SQmail makes it very slow

Dear All,

I have the following setup which had been working for a quite long  time
all the below are running on one server
Centos Os 5
Sendmail 8.13
apache
MailScanner 4.77
mailwatch
Squirrel mail 1.4.13

now soemtime back i upgraded my squirrel mail to 1.4.17 and everything
working fine.

but I did notice that all emails ( with or without attachments) sent from
SQmail web interface were being whitelisted as seen from mailwatch
interface.

this happens since localhost (127.0.0.1 ) is being whitelisted.
Actually i found that when in upgrade of SQ mail the  Server
Settings==>General==>Sendmail or SMTP was sendmail

so i changed the setting to SMTP and specified the IP address of  my
mailserver which is the same machine itself

Now after I did that emails sent from the SQmail Web interface are not
whitelisted and attachments do get blocked which is perfect and what i
want
but the problem is that any email ( with or without attachment ) takes
very very long time over two or three after clicking on the send icon for
the page to refresh

But if the conf.pl setting is changed to sendmail instead of SMTP it goes
within a 2 or 3 seconds

When I had Squirrel mail 1.4.13 the setting was SMTP in conf.pl and it was
working fine

I did try changing the setting of SMTP from IP address to hostname or
fully domain name but problem persists

also i tail the maillog and see that the log of the sent message takes a
very long time to appear

apprecite your kind advice and suggestions as to what could be wrong

Regards

Simon

--
Network ADMIN