Re: Possible Bug with sqmail recognition of user 'http' instead of 'httpd'

David,

>        I'm either crazy (possible), or I think squirrelmail 1.5 svn (rev. 13613) is
> having trouble distinguishing between apache running as user 'http' and not
> 'httpd'. I have a number of installs on openSuSE where user and group are
> wwwrun:www and everything is fine there. I am working on an install on
> archlinux where the apache(httpd) user and group are http:http (no 'd').

SM doesn't care who runs the web server.  Some plugins might.  SM
itself just needs you to set permissions correctly on things like the
data and attachment directories.

>        Upon login, the following error is received:
>
> ERROR
> Could not create initial preference file! /usr/local/share/sqmail/data/ should
> be writable by user httpd. Please contact your system administrator and report
> this error.
> Go to the login page
>
>        Note: sqmail is looking for user 'httpd'.

I see.  This is not exactly true.  It is guessing.  You don't have the
posix extension enabled, so it can't tell who is running the web
server.  I will change this so it doesn't make you think it knows
something which is wrong.  Thanks.

>        phpinfo() and /etc/passwd and /etc/group show apache2 is running as:
> User/Group http(33)/33. Just to check, I set all permissions under
> /usr/local/share/sqmail to 0777 (crazy - world writable permissions) and still,
> squirrelmail will not start, but gives the same error:
>
> ERROR
> Could not create initial preference file! /usr/local/share/sqmail/data/ should
> be writable by user httpd. Please contact your system administrator and report
> this error.
> Go to the login page
>
>        Again, squirrelmail is trying to write as user 'httpd' not 'http' and I guess
> squirrel is checking the user and group and finding neither is 'httpd' and
> stopping.

No, the problem has nothing to do with the user.  SM is simply trying
to write to the data directory and cannot (and the error message was
misleading (which I have now changed).  You said you set that
directory to 777 but maybe $data_dir is not pointing to the same
directory you changed.