Re: Change from Courier to Dovecot - config settings for Dovecot?

Alan in Toronto-2 wrote:

> I have just migrated to a new server. Previously I was using SquirrelMail
> with
> Courier IMAP, but the new server has Dovecot. Initially my SquirrelMail
> config was
> simply copied to the new server, and everything seemed to work fine. I
> want to
> revise the config to make it as compatible with Dovecot as possible. I've
> read on
> the SM site and through list archives and Googled, but I see lots of
> conflicting
> advice on how to config for Dovecot.
>
> My SM config used on Courier included these settings:
>
>  IMAP Server Type: Courier
>  IMAP Folder Delimiter: .
>  Default Folder Prefix: INBOX.
>
> As I say, that seemed to work even on Dovecot. Based on info. on SM site
> and others,
> I changed to the following:
>
>  IMAP Server Type: Dovecot
>  IMAP Folder Delimiter: detect
>  Default Folder Prefix: ""   (blank/empty)
>
> However, once I did that I saw the following error:
>
> ERROR: Could not complete request.
> Query: CREATE "Trash"
> Reason Given: Unknown namespace.
>
> So, I left Server Type as Dovecot, but reverted the other two values to
> what I had
> on Courier server, so now I have this:
>
>  IMAP Server Type: Dovecot
>  IMAP Folder Delimiter: .
>  Default Folder Prefix: INBOX.
>
> Again, as with the original Courier config, this seems to work. But, is
> this optimal
> or correct? Could someone in the know please give me some info. about the
> proper
> config values for a Dovecot server?

Dovecot preset is written for standard Dovecot 0.99 namespace. Dovecot 1.x
allows to reconfigure used namespace and SquirrelMail dovecot preset might
be unsuitable for your setup.

Enable SquirrelMail info plugin and execute "NAMESPACE" command without
double quotes. Show results.

--
Tomas