Re: Change from Courier to Dovecot - config settings for Dovecot?

On Sat, March 21, 2009 1:03 am, Karl Pearson wrote:

> On Fri, March 20, 2009 10:28 pm, Alan in Toronto wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, March 21, 2009 12:17 am, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

> << stuff deleted >>

>>> It is possible that Dovecot has changed its standard configuration
>>> since the presets were developed (someone with some familiarity with
>>> Dovecot could chime in),
>>
>>> but given that we don't get reports about
>>> this problem, it seems it might be a custom or one-off configuration
>>> issue on your system.
>>
>> Perhaps it's like the documentation for UW-IMAP a few years ago. The
>> documented
>> config really seemed to be wrong, so based on trial and error testing
>> and detailed
>> documentation, I documented a config that worked well on several UW
>> servers.
>> Afterward, several people copied that config and replicated it to other
>> sites
>> recommending it as the ideal config for SM on UW-IMAP.
>>
>>> The default folder prefix value isn't something
>>> that is going to be "non-optimal" when set some other way - it's not a
>>> performance setting.  If INBOX. works for you, and ALL folder
>>> operations work as expected, then that's what you should use.
>>
>> Okay, that's good to know. Sort of an "if it seems to work, it's
>> working"
>> philosophy. I can work with that. :)
>>
>> Thanks Paul. P.S. Saw Richard Underhill's quintet recently in a tiny
>> club with me
>> just two armlengths from Richard. He was awesome!
>
> I have used UW-IMAP and now use Dovecot because it's just plain fast.

> I'd check /etc/dovecot.conf to see if there's any special settings, like
> what the namespace is set to, specifically mail_location = which if
> defaulted, is $HOME/mail and which is why SM thinks you should have that
> set to "".

Thanks. I'm using PuTTY to SSH to root to find that. I've a neophyte at using PuTTY
though, so I can't even find how to use a "find" command to search within a text
file. I found /etc/dovecot.conf as you said, and used pico to view it. Here is a
block with entries referring to  mail_location.

# REMEMBER: If you add any namespaces, the default namespace must be added
# explicitly, ie. mail_location does nothing unless you have a namespace
# without a location setting. Default namespace is simply done by having a
# namespace with empty prefix.
namespace private {
   # Hierarchy separator to use. You should use the same separator for all
   # namespaces or some clients get confused. '/' is usually a good one.
   # The default however depends on the underlying mail storage format.
   #separator =

   # Prefix required to access this namespace. This needs to be different for
   # all namespaces. For example "Public/".
   prefix = INBOX.

   # Physical location of the mailbox. This is in same format as
   # mail_location, which is also the default for it.
   #location =

   # There can be only one INBOX, and this setting defines which namespace
   # has it.
   inbox = yes

   # If namespace is hidden, it's not advertised to clients via NAMESPACE
   # extension. You'll most likely also want to set list=no. This is mostly
   # useful when converting from another server with different namespaces which
   # you want to deprecate but still keep working. For example you can create
   # hidden namespaces with prefixes "~/mail/", "~%u/mail/" and "mail/".
   #hidden = yes

   # Show the mailboxes under this namespace with LIST command. This makes the
   # namespace visible for clients that don't support NAMESPACE extension.
   #list = yes

   # Namespace handles its own subscriptions. If set to "no", the parent
   # namespace handles them (empty prefix should always have this as "yes")
   #subscriptions = yes
   #subscriptions = yes

Does all that tell you anything? What else should I look for?

> It might have been changed to match your old server. If it
> was, leave it alone as you found it to work.

Yeah, as long as it's working that's a good start. :)
> I'm kind of a 'purist'
> (whatever that means) and preferred to change from SM settings of mail/
> as the setting and liked the "" setting for Dovecot because that meant
> when I helped others setup their IMAP email in SM or whatever, I could
> just leave that setting alone and it would work 'out of the box.' For
> going forward, I find that the less things have to be 'tweaked' to make
> them back-compatible, the happier I am as an admin.

As a rule, I agree with you. I prefer more "vanilla" installations, so things are as
expected and other stuff could be added on easily because the base setup is as
expected.

Thanks for your help, and thanks Paul for your help.