Re: Change from Courier to Dovecot - config settings for Dovecot?

On Sat, March 21, 2009 12:17 am, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Alan in Toronto
> <Alantoronto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> On Fri, March 20, 2009 11:01 pm, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

>>> config/conf.pl --> D --> "dovecot"
>>>
>>> Or look at the settings in doc/presets.txt
>>
>> Thanks Paul. I'm configuring using the Admin plugin. I looked at doc/presets.txt.
>> With those Dovecot settings, I get that error:
>>
>> ERROR: Could not complete request.
>> Query: CREATE "Trash"
>> Reason Given: Unknown namespace.
>>
>> The key value seems to be "Default Folder Prefix" (default_folder_prefix). If it
>> is
>> set to <none> (empty string) as specified for Dovecot in doc/presets.txt, I get
>> that
>> error. But if I change it to what I used for Courier, INBOX., then everything
>> seems
>> to work. This is what I have now:
>>
>>  IMAP Server Type: Dovecot
>>  IMAP Folder Delimiter: detect
>>  Default Folder Prefix: INBOX.
>>
>> I don't understand why doc/presets.txt Dovecot settings give me that error, so
>> even
>> though things appear to work with different settings I don't know if they are
>> optimal.
>
> It is possible that Dovecot has changed its standard configuration
> since the presets were developed (someone with some familiarity with
> Dovecot could chime in),

> but given that we don't get reports about
> this problem, it seems it might be a custom or one-off configuration
> issue on your system.

Perhaps it's like the documentation for UW-IMAP a few years ago. The documented
config really seemed to be wrong, so based on trial and error testing and detailed
documentation, I documented a config that worked well on several UW servers.
Afterward, several people copied that config and replicated it to other sites
recommending it as the ideal config for SM on UW-IMAP.

> The default folder prefix value isn't something
> that is going to be "non-optimal" when set some other way - it's not a
> performance setting.  If INBOX. works for you, and ALL folder
> operations work as expected, then that's what you should use.

Okay, that's good to know. Sort of an "if it seems to work, it's working"
philosophy. I can work with that. :)

Thanks Paul. P.S. Saw Richard Underhill's quintet recently in a tiny club with me
just two armlengths from Richard. He was awesome!