Disable PHP's 'register_globals' setting

Hi all, i need some help

I did scan of my network with nessus and i get the following warning:

Description :

The version of SquirrelMail installed on the remote fails to check the
origin of the 'base_uri' parameter in the 'functions/strings.php'
script before using it to set the path for its cookies. An attacker
may be able to leverage this issue to steal cookies associated with
the affected application provided he has control of a malicious site
within the same domain and PHP's 'register_globals' setting is
enabled.

Solution :

Disable PHP's 'register_globals' setting

in my /etc/php.ini register_globals = off ...

How do I change this and correct this issue?

Thanx in advance