Re: Default Domain?

On 2-Mar-2009, at 01:27, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM, LuKreme <kremels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Not so obvious if you use the Login Manager plugin, which allows the
>>> virtual users also to log in as "user" also (which IMO is a good
>>> thing).
>>
>> I don't see how that is possible; there is a LOT of name collision
>> between domains.  For example, almost ever hosted domain has a 'sales@xxxxxxxxxx
>> ' and a 'webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx' address.
>
> Just because the end user puts in "mary" on the login screen does not
> mean that the plugin can't construct the real IMAP username to give to
> the IMAP server when actually logging in.

Since all users go to a single address to access squirrelmail, yeah,
it sort does mean that the plugin can't do that.  I would have to
dramatically change how SM is accessed, and that means getting users
used to something new.

>> Hmm.. I will have to think about that.  Clearly it has some benefits,
>> but it will need some retraining of the monke-- er, users.
>
> Not really.  You can configure the plugin to also allow full email
> address logins (and either respect them or strip the domain part off).

See above.

> Depends on the environment and use model of course, but most of the
> time there should never be regular users on the mail system.  There
> are in fact ways to configure Pine to use virtual mail accounts, but
> anyway, if you only have one server for your whole business and users
> have to log into the server to use some software on it, then sure, I
> can understand why you might want local mail accounts, but with the
> price of computing hardware today, I find it hard to imagine why you
> couldn't buy a second machine.

We have three machines and adding another would require buying more IP
addresses.  One machine is primary DNS and webmail, one machine is
secondary DNS, mail, and other web services. The third machine is the
MySQL server.  Shell users have access to only the secondary DNS
machine (the other current IPs are used for routers).

--
I love as only I can, with all my heart