Re: Default Domain?

On 1-Mar-2009, at 15:12, Paul Lesniewski wrote:> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:27 PM, LuKreme <kremels@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:>> I have a squirrelmail install that processes both virtual users (user@xxxxxxxxxxx >> ) and local users (user@xxxxxxxxxxx). The local users have to login  >> as 'user' while everyone else logs in as 'user@xxxxxxxxxxx'>>>> What I would like to do is allow EITHER 'user@xxxxxxxxxxx' or  >> 'user' for the local (example.org) users (obviously the virtual  >> users still have to use user@xxxxxxxxxxx as their user name).>> Not so obvious if you use the Login Manager plugin, which allows the  > virtual users also to log in as "user" also (which IMO is a good  > thing).
I don't see how that is possible; there is a LOT of name collision  between domains.  For example, almost ever hosted domain has a 'sales@xxxxxxxxxx ' and a 'webmaster@xxxxxxxxxx' address.

> If you configure that plugin correctly (for starters, put  > $dontUseHostName into the $virtualDomains array and turn it off for  > the local domain),
Sounds like I will need to take a look a the Login Manager plugin...
Oh, now *that* I'd never even considered:
    • make sure all usernames given on login page      have the domain that corresponds to the domain      in the URL of the login page appended to them
    • allow users to log in with just a "user" when      in fact their IMAP login might be something      like "username@xxxxxxxxxx"
Hmm.. I will have to think about that.  Clearly it has some benefits,  but it will need some retraining of the monke-- er, users.
> you can make such a system work, although in general I think you are  > asking for trouble when you try to put both kinds of users on the  > same machine.
It's a decade too late for that...

> I don't see any reason why you'd ever need to keep local mail users  > if you already have a virtual setup.
Local users are those who can login to the shell, it seems only polite  to have their email be part of their shell account, especially as some  things are a bit easier to do from the shell.

-- Silence is golden, duct tape is silver.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San Francisco, CA-OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the Enterprise-Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source participation-Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source code: SFADhttp://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H-----squirrelmail-users mailing listPosting guidelines: http://squirrelmail.org/postingguidelinesList address: squirrelmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.userList info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options): https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrelmail-users