Squirrelmail and PHP Safe Mode

I am not especially familiar with PHP, so it seemed like a good idea to
set "safe_mode = on" in /etc/php.ini - in case anything that was
installed by default bit me when I enabled the webserver, and it seems
like good practice.

I was just trying to debug a SquirrelMail problem (the
recent 1.4.8-5.el4_7.2 update in CENTOS/RHEL is buggy) and tried to run
the installed version on my desktop to compare.
I got the error
   Error opening /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/default_pref
   Could not Create initial preference file!
   /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/ should be writable by user apache
but it is :
   drwx------ 2 apache apache 4096 Jan 19 15:17 /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/
   /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/default_pref -> ../../../../etc/squirrelmail/default_pref
   -rw-r----- 1 root apache 83 Sep  2 16:46 /etc/squirrelmail/default_pref

https://localhost/webmail/src/configtest.php says everything is fine,
though users can't change their timezone

After a lot of messing around I found that, with PHP Safe Mode on,
file_exists() returns false if e.g. /var/lib/squirrelmail/prefs/foo.pref
belongs to apache, but true if it belongs to some other user, e.g. root.

This seems totally bizarre to me - I would expect it to be the other way
around if anything.

As I say, I don't know a lot about PHP.

- Is safe_mode broken to the point of unusability ?
- If not, is there a way to get SquirrelMail to run with it on ?
- If so, perhaps configtest.php should flag it. (OK, 1.4.17 does)

SquirrelMail version:	1.4.8-5.el5_2.2
Config file version:	1.4.0
PHP version 5.1.6
Apache 2.2.3

   --

In SquirrelMail 1.4.17-1.fc9,  on a Fedora Core 9 machine
configtest.php does flag safe_mode, saying

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
Tel. +1 (604) 222-7376  (Pacific Time)