fresh install - blank login screen

I have just installed squirrelmail on a new server running FreeBSD 7.1
Release p1 with Apache 2.2.11, UW-imap and PHP 5.2.25. Installs were all
done via the latest FreeBSD "ports" collection.

Squirrelmail is on it's own apache virtual server with
/usr/local/www/squirrelmail as the document root. Apache seems to be
working. Prior to enableing PHP in apache, browsing to the squirrel mail
v-host would display the text of "index.php". Since I enable PHP in
apache (a line to load the libphp5.so and a couple of type handler
lines), index.php re-directs to the login.php file, firefox shows "done"
in the lower left corner but the page is blank. There are no errors
reported in the apache logs. When I point the browser at the test script
I also get a blank page.

My php.ini is copied from the php.ini.reccomended file that installed
with the PHP5 distribution, and except for a max memory parameter is the
same as the one that I have been using on another server for horde (I
gave up trying to get horde installed on the new server because of all
the issues with its 137 dependencies). I ran the squirrelmail configure
script selecting UW as the imap server, enabling TLS, changing the imap
port for TLS, and setting my domain name.

I did see similar symptoms described in the wiki but it involved a PHP
upgrade (this is a new install) and the entry was about 2 years old.

I plan to enable PHP error displays when I get back to the server
tonight but any other tips will be much appreciated!

        TIA   ...jgm