collapsible folders

I was wondering how to get the collapsible folder functionality working
correctly.  When I use my regular mail client (Thunderbird) the empty
folders which contain subfolders of mail are collapsible.  When I access the
same IMAP account from squirrelmail, the parent folders aren't subscribable
(since they are folders on the filesystem, not IMAP folders) and do not
appear and the subfolders appear indented with no heading of what the parent
is (i.e. mailing-lists/list1, mailing-lists/list2 would show as simply list1
and list2).  The question here is how do I get the behavior I am expecting
instead of the behavior I actually get.  I have collapsible folders enabled
which is supposed to have the standard +/- collapsing structure we all know
and love, but it's not showing the parent with a - to allow collapse.  What
am I doing wrong here?  The solution can involve changing the folder
structure but must work with Thunderbird as a client as well since that is
what I use from home.  I am the administrator of the IMAP/squirrelmail
server so whether this can be fixed as a user or needs admin privs is
immaterial to me, but since this is a user interface issue I felt this the
appropriate list for the question.  Please advise.

Thanks