Re: Using SquirrelSpell with IE7, Firefox, & html_mail plug-in

> I'm having a multitude of problems that I think may be interrelated.
>
> First off, I am runing Firefox 3.0.4, Internet Explorer 7, and
> SquirrelMail 1.4.1 (the newest versions of each).

SquirrelMail 1.4.1 is years old.  Please double check.

> My problem is with SquirrelSpell and the html_mail plug-in.

The two are not related.  HTML Mail has its own spell check (depending
on which editor you have chosen - show your config!).  You need to
read that plugin's documentation.

> When running
> SquirrelSpell in Firefox, I get this error when pressing the spell check
> button that is within the html_mail plugin:
>
> Error executing `aspell -a --lang=en_US --encoding=utf-8 -H <
> /tmp/aspell_data_dg0Ez5 2>&1`
> Error: Invalid Option: --encoding=utf-8
>
> I have the most recent version of Aspell installed on my machine - this
> looks like a file path issue.

Read the configuration file for HTML_Mail

> I have been up and down all the config files
> and can't find the place to change the path that actually results in it
> working.

Really?

> Does the html_mail plug-in even use SquirrelSpell/Aspell?

Yes

> I have also
> tried editing the config file for the html_mail editor to direct the
> spellchecker to my hard drive.

Maybe you should show exactly what file you are editing and what you
are doing to it.

> Next, when using SM in IE 7, the html_mail plug-in doesn't even activate.

The plugin should activate under IE 5.5+ and Mozilla 1.4+.  The test
is based on user-agent information provided by the browser.  First,
check your settings on the Display Options page to make sure you have
it enabled in your user preferences.  Then if it still doesn't show
up, you'll have to look at the browser detection function in the
plugin code, although I haven't seen other reports of this from anyone
else.

> Also, not all of my options show up (under the options button at the top
> of SM - one of the options I'm missing is for the Spellchecker).

You need to be more clear what you are missing.  When HTML_Mail is
showing its editor, it deactivates SquirrelSpell because it has its
own spell checking in the HTML editor, but your description is not
clear if this is the "issue" you are seeing.

> When I
> hit 'check spelling' under the plain text editor, it just times out when
> trying to connect to the server.

Unrelated to this plugin.  Sounds like a server misconfiguration.
Look at your log files.  Search the mailing list archives for others
with SquirrelSpell problems.