configtest.php ERROR (magic_quotes and variable_order )

hi list,

I hope i post in the right mailing list.

I encountered two errors running configtest and can't find any solution for this.I searched the mailing list also.

squirrelmail 1.4.16
php 4.4.9

Error: your variable_order settings seems to be empty.. Make sure it is undefined in any PHP.ini files, .htaccess files, etc. and not specifically set to an empty value or Squirrelmail will not function correctly.

gpc_order OK: GPC
PHP extension OK

Error: you have enable any one of magic_quotes_runtime, magic_quotes_gpc or magic_quotes_sybase in your PHP configuration.

php.ini

register global = off
magic_quotes_gpc = ON set to Off ( still the same error results )
magic_quotes_runtime = Off
magic_quotes_sybase = Off

any help or suggestion is appreciated.

thanks