SM Purging Deleted Items

I am using Dovecot IMAP on my Postfix server and when a user deletes a
message in Outlook 2003, the message has a strike through it and is
pending deletion until you purge. I am sure most have seen this
before. The problem is when that user has deleted 20 messages but does
not wish to purge them off the server, when you login into SM -
something then causes all messages marked for deletion to be auto
purged from the server. All messages then marked for deletion have
been removed just by logging into webmail and the messages are gone
for good.

Anyone know what is causing this and or how to change this? I don't
think this is an issue on Thunderbird or any other client since
Outlook is the only client I have seen that requires you to purge
deleted messages rather than simply deleting them and then emptying
the trash.

Thanks for any help!