Re: sendreceipt privacy problem

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 2:49 AM, Squirrel Dennis
> <mail-Nk1USUNpOFh5UldmdEZsZFM2WXI5NH@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello Squirrels,
>>
>> I like this webmailer very well since many years. Thank you for your work!
>>
>> I found a problem while sending read receipt. I don't use my private email
>> address for public purposes, I've a lot of email-aliases (I configured a
>> lot of advanced identities too). So somebody wrote me and want's to have a
>> read receipt. I checked it was one of my mail-alias and I pressed the
>> buttom. After I checked my send out folder and found my read receipt was
>> sending with my private email address! That's not funny.
>> I'm using Version 1.4.15, uw-imap and sendmail.
>>
>> Can somebody of the experienced programmers give me a hint? Did I forget
>> something? Does sm make a difference between identities while sending a
>> read receipt? Do I have to promote a dummy email address as my primary
>> address? Is there a feature to send mails via a confirmation directory
>> (spool dir, output folder), so I can check it before sending without
>> reconfigure sendmail?
>
> The problem is that SM can't magically know what address to use.  It
> can't just pick the TO header and use that address, because that's
> often not even your address at all.  It thus uses the current login
> username, since that's usually the best bet.  Your situation is not
> the norm.  SM would have to be changed to ask you what, if any, alias
> to use to send the receipt.  Patches welcome.

FWIW, look at src/read_body.php around line 193, where I think the
FROM header is computed.  You'd have to find where the original
message is (in global scope?) and then try to parse through its
recipients to see if one of your SM identity preferences matches it
and if so, you could use that.  Doing so in this place, however, still
makes it an automated process where the user has no choice who the
receipt is sent out as.