Re: performance issues that seemingly can not be solved.

Jesse Michaels wrote:

> Hello, I am running SquirrelMail 1.4.16, against EIMS Mail Server
> which support IMAP.
>
> SquirrelMail is very slow at loading mailboxes.  EIMS stores mail in a
> single file, like UW IMAP server.  If I telnet into the server, and
> select a mailbox, one in which I feel it is not that large, perhaps
> 3000 messages, I can get back a message count in under 3 seconds.
>
> SquirrelMail takes about 3 times as long to return the page.
>
> I have read all the docs at:
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SpeedWithUW
> None of which seem to help.
>
> a1 OK login successful
> a2 SELECT "Read Mail 2008"
> * FLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Recent \Answered \Flagged \Draft $MDNSent)
> * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Deleted \Seen \Answered \Flagged \Draft
> $MDNSent)] OK
> * 3320 EXISTS
> * 0 RECENT
> * OK [UIDVALIDITY 3299809062] OK
> * OK [UIDNEXT 3350] OK
> a2 OK [READ-WRITE] SELECT succeded
>
> a3 CAPABILITY
> * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=NTLM UIDPLUS
> IDLE QUOTA NAMESPACE
> a3 OK CAPABILITY completed
>
> I have spoken with the developer, and he states that even though EIMS
> does not support sort and thread, that should have no impact on
> performance, and in fact it could slow it down.
>
> What is the trick to speed up web email?  Or, can anyone give me any
> insight as to what my email server is doing wrong.  Can someone give
> me some rough select times on mailboxes that have a lot of messages in
> them as well?
> --
> Scott

Select times for mailbox with 5000 messages
Cyrus - 1,3 sec
Courier - 55 sec
hMailServer - 1,5 sec
UW - 440 sec

Select time depends on caching methods used by IMAP server. It might take
even 3500 seconds on UW.

SORT extension does not improve SquirrelMail performance, if mailbox is not
sorted.

If mailbox is sorted, SORT extension does improve SquirrelMail performance.
With SORT extension mailbox sorting is performed on IMAP server and it puts
more stress on IMAP server. EIMS developer won't like it, but it is faster
than sorting messages in PHP based webmail. Sorted mailbox performance might
be abysmal, if IMAP server does not cache message envelope information or
uses RAM to cache it.

Other example
Load time for SquirrelMail mailbox with 5k messages, 15 messages per page,
sorted by sender.
* No sort extension (courier maildir) - 6314,06
* Courier (maildir) - 1815,98
* Cyrus - 829,48
* UW (mbox) - 4575,44
* hMailServer - 15163,11

Tests are performed on PHP setup with very high memory and timeout limits
and optimized memory usage. If SORT extension is not used on 5k sorted
mailbox, you might hit PHP memory limits instead of getting sorted results.

--
Tomas