Re: [Fwd: Previous user's folders and email visible]

> I've recently taken over a network and a problem cropped up last week
> that has me stumped.
>
> I can replicate this every time with every browser that I've tried,
> Safari, IE7 and SeaMonkey.
>
> The problem first appeared when a teacher allowed their student to use
> Squirrel mail on her computer logged in with her OD account. The student
> was able to see the headers and even read email from the teacher's
> account that were in "common" system folders such as Drafts and Sent
> Messages. I've done a lot of testing and reliably the issue is fixed by
> deleting the Temporary Internet files, or clearing the cached files in
> Safari or Sea Monkey. I tested to see if clearing cookies alone would
> resolve the issue but it does not.
>
> Other Squirrel mail implementations I've used do not exhibit this
> feature. I'd like to make ours behave properly. Can anyone help?

Indeed.  I've never heard of it.  There is a known issue wherein a
user who logs into an account in the same browser someone else was
using for the same purpose (and had not logged out) gets all the
preferences of the first user.  The solution (for both issues perhaps)
is to train users to log out.  But the problem you describe is not
possible as far as I know, because upon login a new username and
password is provided.  SM uses those credentials to access mail on the
IMAP server, so the only way I can imagine that this is happening is
if the content is simply being cached on the client side.  As clearing
temporary browser files seems to fix it, that'd make sense.  You
should try installing SM in a parallel directory and see if that fixes
it - maybe the original sysadmin took out SM's anti-cache headers (for
some odd reason).

> I've tested from inside our LAN with OSX (fully up to date) with Safari
> and SeaMonkey. I've tested from outside our LAN using OSX and
> Safari/SeaMonkey and from a windows XP SP3 box using IE7 and SeaMonkey
> 1.1.11. IMAP works correctly from OE and SeaMonkey IMAP client setups.
> It's only web based where I see the issue.
>
> My understanding is that no conf files were modified prior to the first
> occurrence. Since discovering the issue I have updated our SquirrelMail
> to the current version, 1.4.15 from the previous version we were using,
> 1.4.10a.

So this is happening on a vanilla installation??  Is there a proxy in
the middle that could be caching content?  Have you disabled ALL
plugins?  One easy test is to pull your network connection and see if
you still get the content that you shouldn't be.  Also, check browser
cache settings.  Try Firefox too.