Re: Symbolic Links - File Not Found error

Why did you flatten the quoted text in this thread?  Please reply in
text with quoted text preserved.

> We recently installed Squirrelmail onto a customer's mail server.
>
> The setup is this:
>
> FC9
> php-5.1.6-3.7.fc6
> httpd-2.2.3-5
> dovecot-1.0.3-6.fc6
> SquirrelMail version 1.4.15
>
> As well as the normal users account, we also have an account called (for the
> sake of brevity) "Plans" (think "Customers"). Below this account is a
> separate folder for each Plan. It looks like this:
>
> Plan-1
> Plan-2
> Plan-9999
>
> Each of the users has responsibility for a subset of the Plans, but
> everybody also needs access to all the Plans folders.
>
> Consequently, an end users folder structure will look like this:
>
> Inbox
> Trash
> My Plans
>     Plan-27
>     Plan-101
> Personal Files
> Work Files
> More Folder
> More Folders
> All Plans
>     Plan-1
>     Plan-2
>     Plan-3
>     Plan-999
> Other Folders
>
> This has been done so that they can collapse "All Plans" and deal just with
> "My Plans" but they can (of needed) get access to all the plans (customers)
> emails.
>
> The "All Plans" is a separate IMAP account that everyone is subscribed to.
>
> The "My Plans is a just folder that contains symbolic links back to the
> actual folders (from All Plans).
>

> symlinks to implement shared mail folders?  Is this the official
> recommendation from dovecot on how to implement this?  If dovecot
> dumps any of its own data (subscription/other) files into mail
> folders, then this kind of symlinking is bound to break IMO.  You need
> to take this whole design to the dovecot community and make sure it
> really will work before you try to figure out if it will work via
> webmail.  If you insist on solving a server problem using a client,
> though, turn up your IMAP logging verbosity or sniff the connection
> between webmail and IMAP to see the commands and responses and errors
> dovecot is throwing.
>

> Dovecot does not recommend using symlinks. I have managed dovecot servers
> Since Redhat v8 and have never recommended or have it recommended to me to
> ever use symlinks. On the contrary, using symlinks can, and apparently
> does, cause undesirable affects.
>
> Don't use symlinks unless you can verify and quantify the potentialities
> as you encounter them. Too many moving parts? Start over and do it 'by the
> book'
>
> My 2 pence.
>
> Karl

> [...]

Then it sounds like a hack to begin with which should send up red
flags for anyone running a production system.  Maybe you should use an
IMAP server that has correctly implemented a shared folders solution.
If you remain with your current implementation, then my last
suggestion is your next step.  I don't really think this is a SM
issue.