Re: squirrelmail used for spam

Thanks Derek, I will implement your apache suggestion since all smtp relay
are done using the Crazy Browser.

Thanks,

Paul

P.A > -----Original Message-----
P.A > From: squirrelmail-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
P.A > [mailto:squirrelmail-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
P.A > derek@xxxxxxxxxxx
P.A > Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 3:05 PM
P.A > To: debianrob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; Squirrelmail User Support Mailing List
P.A > Subject: Re:  squirrelmail used for spam
P.A >
P.A >
P.A > This was also a big problem for me as well. I was able to block this
P.A > by
P.A > adding geoip to server and blocking all traffic from places like
P.A > Africa,
P.A > Asia, and parts of Europe. Pretty much all the abuse seems to come
P.A > from
P.A > RIPE networks (really it seems almost all the abuse on the net period
P.A > comes from RIPE). Most of our user are from US/Canada so it wasn't a
P.A > big
P.A > deal for us to just block entire regions like Africa from accessing
P.A > webmail. If you have clients from a region blocked for abuse you can
P.A > add
P.A > their ISP's ip-range to a host.allow list to bypass the deny page. We
P.A > had
P.A > also implemented captchas in squirrelmail and a flagging system for
P.A > outgoing email.
P.A >
P.A > If a spammer has compromised one of your accounts they would likely
P.A > not be
P.A > using squirrelmail to send the messages, but rather just connect to
P.A > your
P.A > smtp server directly. Although from your logs they do appear to be
P.A > using
P.A > squirrelmail.
P.A >
P.A > If you want to look for compromised smtp accounts on your server try
P.A > this
P.A > one-liner...
P.A >
P.A > grep 'smtp_auth:' /var/log/maillog | awk '{print $9, $16}' | sort |
P.A > uniq -c
P.A >
P.A > It will list the users authenticating through smtp in the maillog and
P.A > sort
P.A > them by the most accessed accounts (usually this would be the
P.A > compromised
P.A > account(s)).
P.A >
P.A > It looks like you could also block them by their user-agent using
P.A > something like this in you apache conf...
P.A >
P.A > RewriteEngine on
P.A > RewriteCond %{ENV:HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*Crazy Browser.*$
P.A > RewriteRule ^.*$ /deny.html [L]
P.A >
P.A > I haven't tested this but it should work.
P.A >
P.A > You should also consider adding something like DenyHosts on your
P.A > server to
P.A > block brute-force attempts.
P.A >
P.A >