Re: squirrelmail used for spam

This was also a big problem for me as well. I was able to block this by
adding geoip to server and blocking all traffic from places like Africa,
Asia, and parts of Europe. Pretty much all the abuse seems to come from
RIPE networks (really it seems almost all the abuse on the net period
comes from RIPE). Most of our user are from US/Canada so it wasn't a big
deal for us to just block entire regions like Africa from accessing
webmail. If you have clients from a region blocked for abuse you can add
their ISP's ip-range to a host.allow list to bypass the deny page. We had
also implemented captchas in squirrelmail and a flagging system for
outgoing email.

If a spammer has compromised one of your accounts they would likely not be
using squirrelmail to send the messages, but rather just connect to your
smtp server directly. Although from your logs they do appear to be using
squirrelmail.

If you want to look for compromised smtp accounts on your server try this
one-liner...

grep 'smtp_auth:' /var/log/maillog | awk '{print $9, $16}' | sort | uniq -c

It will list the users authenticating through smtp in the maillog and sort
them by the most accessed accounts (usually this would be the compromised
account(s)).

It looks like you could also block them by their user-agent using
something like this in you apache conf...

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{ENV:HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*Crazy Browser.*$
RewriteRule ^.*$ /deny.html [L]

I haven't tested this but it should work.

You should also consider adding something like DenyHosts on your server to
block brute-force attempts.

Derek G.