Re: SquirrelMail exploits?

On Wed, 2 Jul 2008, Michel wrote:

>> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Brant Wells wrote:
>>

>>> Fedora Core v5
>> scary - old, outdated, unsupported. - try Slackware 12.1, or if you MUST
>> use a simple RPM pray system, use CentOS 5.2.
>>

> I think that is not the point, even with older OS any mta abuse is based on
> misconfiguration of THE MTA not the OS, mostly relay related issues
>

>> It is possible your php has been exploited, this is not SM's fault nor
>> its problem.
>>

> even so the problem always comes back to ta configuration issues, with php exploit
> or not because php on it own can not send email

oh good god get a clue, if php is exploited and mail() is commonly exploited,
then of course the MTA is going to relay since its local bloody host, dont
blame the mta since its only doing whats its supposed to do,  *R E L A Y*
for local generated emails, why the hell dont you blame apache for
accepting the epxloiters initial conenction, blame Juniper or cisco
because their routers  RELAYED the tcp packets to the server.

*shakes head*

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
    a nicer place.